Anyone else notice that stress, especially chronic stress, takes a MASSIVE toll on their skin? You are not alone. Stress, in particular the hormone released when we experience stress (cortisol), takes a major toll on the health of our brain, gut, and skin function. Large levels of stress in our bodies can cause beauty issues ranging from eczema flare ups to fine lines, discoloration, and reduced cellular function/repair (click here to learn more). None of which we want.
Your body was magnificently designed to promote optimal beauty and wellness if we can give it the tools it needs to function properly. Here at H2a, we like to call those tools Beauty Rituals.
Here are our 5 Favorite Rituals to De-Stress and provide your body with the necessary healing constituents to promote healthy and glowing skin.
This is a fancy way of saying take a cold shower. Now, before you say " No way is that going to make me feel LESS stressed", hear us out. Cold showers work wonders for the brain as well as the skin.
- Skin Benefits: Hot water can actually strip your skin of it's natural oils and oil production processes, leaving you feeling dry and oftentimes causing your skin to overproduce oils (a major cause of acne and other skin ailments). Taking a cold ( or lukewarm) shower can help your skin to lock in moisture and prep for a moisturizer (such as our heal oil!).
- Brain Benefits: Studies have shown that taking cold showers actually releases neurotransmitters that increase our tolerance to stress, reduce inflammation, and improve mood. Click here to learn more!
Start out by reducing the overall temperature of the water used in your shower to lukewarm, and then stand in cold water for at least 30-45 seconds at the end of your shower. We promise you, and your skin, will feel amazing!
We said it before and we will say it again, moving your body is so important! But the intention behind the way that you are moving your body is just as important as the movement itself. Instead of picking exercise rituals that make you unhappy, find something that uplifts your soul. Yoga, hiking, weight lifting... it doesn't matter! Whatever gets your body moving and your heart full.
- Skin Benefits: Healthy levels of exercise helps it increase collagen production, nutrient circulation, and can aide in cleaning out your pores. This article breaks down exactly how the right amount of sweat can actually improve the quality of your skin.
- Brain Benefits: Exercise is one of the best ways to alleviate stress. It helps our body build up immunity to stress hormones, increases circulation, releases mood boosting neurotransmitters in the brain, plus let's be honest it is pretty hard to think about what is bothering us in the middle of an intense power yoga class (if that is what you love to do!).
We love baths. You probable know that by now. But taking a bath, and being mindful about this sacred practice, can be a game changer in alleviating stress. These restorative practices are easy to infuse into your daily life. Plus, it sets a relaxing space that can aide with anxiety, depression, and insomnia!
- Skin Benefits: Your skin will benefit from the release of stress that occurs when you take a bath. But to move the process even further along, we love to add sacred oils and herbs to our baths to improve skin function and repair. Our favorites? Our Lavender 35 & Calendula Bath & Body Oil paired with 2 tablespoons of our Be Well Tea (added directly into your bath water!).
- Brain Benefits: The warm water and sacred ritual of taking care of yourself is a quick way to let go of stress. Ritual baths can work to cleanse your aura, remove negative energy, and improve the quality of your mental state.
There is something to be said for the act of being grateful. We know it can be difficult to sit down and write out the things or people we are grateful for, but it can change your perception of the stress you are witnessing. Sometimes simply taking the time to put positive energy behind our lives enhances our personal vibrations, and we can transform from a space of stress to a space of peace. Our favorite gratitude practice? Writing down 10 things we are grateful for before we head off to bed.
Crystals have been used for centuries for their healing powers, and this includes alleviating the symptoms and damaging effects of stress. Our favorite crystal for this purpose is Clear Quartz. According to this article, " It resonates with the higher chakras, bringing in divine white light and connection to higher-self, higher consciousness, higher wisdom and unconditional pure love." I personally love to keep this crystal by our bed, and meditate with it every morning when we wake up. It if is a really stressful time, I even bring one in my purse!